View: 2388|Reply: 9

CSSE mock exams/practice test papers

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 27-4-2021 10:12:14 | Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone know where I can find the official free test papers for the CSSE (consortium of selective schools in essex) it looks like this test is going ahead and i feel it would be great for my son to practise. Thanks in advance :))

Use magic Report

Post time 27-4-2021 17:12:41 | Show all posts
Hi @adnemumbasa I am not sure whereabouts in Essex you are, but this site has an article about Southend High School for Boys (it's a grammar) and it has lots of familiarisation and practice materials for CSSE: Southend High School for Boys

Use magic Report

Post time 28-4-2021 17:16:35 | Show all posts
I'm preparing my son for the exam and you can find the official papers on the CSSE site https://csse.org.uk/practice-material/

Use magic Report

Post time 29-4-2021 08:37:40 | Show all posts
But isn't it true that the exam providers and schools advise against using practice tests?

Use magic Report

Post time 29-4-2021 12:44:33 | Show all posts
I asked my son's tutor about this and apparently it's true but basically no one does it. By not using mocks tests and stuff it's supposed to be farier on everyone but if everyone's using them to help their kids out then if you don't they're gonna miss out.

Use magic Report

Post time 29-4-2021 12:45:38 | Show all posts
MaryOkeefe replied at 2021-4-28 17:16
I'm preparing my son for the exam and you can find the official papers on the CSSE site https://csse ...

nice one thanks mary

Use magic Report

Post time 4-5-2021 16:55:01 | Show all posts
FinBarr replied at 2021-4-29 12:44
I asked my son's tutor about this and apparently it's true but basically no one does it. By not usin ...

i'm pretty sure they also say not to use tutors as well tho?

Use magic Report

Post time 10-5-2021 09:26:03 | Show all posts
lindaaaxo replied at 2021-5-4 16:55
i'm pretty sure they also say not to use tutors as well tho?

Many schools and even some of the exam boards say that it's not required, and some will advise not using it.

I believe the reason for this is to ensure that the 11+ test is fair for everyone. On many of their websites, they say that the exam is no different to the level of questions the kids are use to from primary school KS2 level. (Although I don't get if this is year 5 level or year 6 level?)

Ultimately, it's popular to get a tutor or even more than 1 and to use practise papers. So if you don't do that, it's your choice. But my train of thought is that, if we don't do it, will my child be at a disadvantage? Because at the end of the day so many people are using them.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-5-2021 13:57:11 | Show all posts
Completely agree with FinBarr, you'd have to be very confident if you felt your child didn't require any preparation at all. They say that the exams aren't different from KS2 and i guess that they are similar but still doesn't hurt to get some practice in. My son's teacher says that the hardest element of the exam is finishing all the questions on time. That is where most children slip up.  

Use magic Report

Post time 13-5-2021 12:55:52 | Show all posts
For those looking for some practice papers, the official 2020 familiarisation paper is here: https://csse.org.uk/wp-content/u ... SSE-Maths-paper.pdf

Feel free to print at home and encourage your child to try it.

Use magic Report

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list